Prairie Herb Farms is an online herb and spice shop that has dedicated itself to collecting pure and fresh ingredients. They know how important it is to use organic/wildcrafted ingredients without any harmful additives and they pride themselves on the quality of their products. Prairie Herb Farms has over 40 herbs and spices all hand grown and collected by different local farmers or wildcrafters worldwide. With so many options to choose from, you have endless possibilities to create delicious dishes with this list of popular herbs and spices.
Why Herbs and Spices Are So Important To Us
Fresh herbs and spices are a great way to incorporate flavor into your food and drinks. While many people use herbs and spices solely to season their food, there are many health benefits to adding these wildcrafted ingredients to your daily diet. Acting as natural medicines, herbs and spices from this list can help support healthy digestion and a healthy immune system. Not only do they provide great natural flavor to your food, but they also provide you with great natural medicinal benefits.
List of Essential Herbs and Spices to Have in Your Kitchen:
Turmeric is a spice containing the compound cur-cumin, and is known primarily for its use in curry dishes. Turmeric has become a household must-have due to its wide range of uses. Along with being a flavorful spice great for Indian cuisine, it also has a number of health benefits. Turmeric is also a strong antioxidant, making the spice a great addition to your diet.
Garlic is a commonly used herb which is known to support conditions related to the heart and blood system. It can help support high or low blood pressure, high cholesterol, and reduced blood flow.
Cinnamon is an aromatic spice typically used in sweet treats and drinks. While cinnamon doesn’t seem like an ingredient used for optimizing health, it has many positive benefits for the body. It is a big source of antioxidants, has anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal qualities, and is known to support heart health.
Ginger is used as a spice normally in sauces and marinades. It promotes proper digestion, relieves nausea, and can reduce joint and muscle pain. Ginger is also an antioxidant and has anti-inflammatory properties. This spice has an abundance of positive health benefits and is a popular choice for both sweet and savory dishes.
Try These Recipes to Add Herbs and Spices Into Your Diet
Turmeric: Hot Toddy
This Turmeric Hot Toddy recipe is great for the winter season. Not only is it a warm and delicious drink to enjoy on a cold day or night, but it has ingredients that help boost your immune system. This recipe is also easy and requires very little ingredients. What you’ll need:
- 1/2 juiced lemon
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 inch piece of ginger
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon of Pure Red Reshi™
- 1-2 tablespoons of Bourbon (optional)
- In a small saucepan, bring water and ginger to a boil. Reduce heat to low and let ginger steep for 5 minutes.
- Remove the ginger and add in turmeric, stirring until the turmeric has completely dissolved.
- Pour into a mug and add in lemon juice, honey, and bourbon (if desired).
- Stir until the honey dissolves completely. Let cool until temperature is not too hot to drink, and enjoy!
Garlic: Roasted Garlic Butternut Squash Soup
Not only is this soup delicious and healthy, but it is also fairly easy to make. With that said, you will need an immersion blender for this recipe! It takes about 15 minutes to prepare and about 50 minutes to cook. What you’ll need:
- 1 butternut squash (about 2.5 lbs)
- 1 full bulb of garlic
- 1 liter of broth (either beef or vegetable broth depending on your preference)
- Olive oil
- Fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 400*F (200*C).
- Peel and deseed butternut squash and dice into 1″ pieces.
- Put butternut squash onto a baking sheet. Pour about 1 tablespoon of olive oil over butternut squash, sprinkle some salt over the top and mix it up until all pieces are coated with oil. Spread out evenly across baking sheet.
- Peel off the paper-like outer layer of the garlic bulb. Be careful to keep the bulb as a whole. Do not peel apart the individual clove pieces.
- Cut off the top part of the garlic so that you expose the upper part of every clove.
- Drizzle a few drops of olive oil over the bulb.
- Place garlic in an oven safe dish and cover.
- Place butternut squash and garlic into oven for about 40 minutes or until soft and golden brown.
- Take butternut squash and garlic out of the oven. Peel garlic and transfer the garlic cloves and butternut squash to a large pot. Add in broth, and 1 teaspoon of very finely chopped thyme and bring this to a boil.
- Once hot, remove from heat and blend with an immersion blender until smooth. Add more broth or water until you’ve reached your desired consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve into a bowl and place a strand of fresh thyme over the top for garnish, and enjoy!
Cinnamon: Apple Cinnamon Chips
Looking for a healthy alternative to potato chips? Try these super easy, super healthy apple chips! This snack is simple and tasty while the cinnamon provides a great flavor and promotes a healthy heart. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Apples of your choice (You can fit about 2 per sheet)
- Cinnamon (ground)
- Mandoline slicer (optional, but highly recommended)
- Preheat oven to 200°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut apples into thin slices using your mandoline slicer or slice by hand. Be sure to remove the centers.
- Lay apple slices in a single layer on lined baking sheet and sprinkle evenly with cinnamon.
- Bake at 200°F for 2 hours.
- Let cool about 5 – 10 minutes and remove from parchment paper. (Your apple chips should crisp up more after this.)
- Seal in Tupperware or plastic bag and enjoy!
Ginger: Homemade Ginger Tea
Ginger tea is great for healing pain in your joints or muscles and for reducing nausea. It’s simple and delicious, and easy to add into your daily diet! This recipe uses fresh ginger, which produces better results than using a ginger tea bag. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 tablespoons of ginger root
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups of water
- 1 – 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 teaspoon of Gano Ultra™
- Juice of 1/2 a lime (optional)
- Peel and thinly slice the ginger root.
- Boil water and ginger in a saucepan for at least 10 minutes. For stronger tea, add more ginger and boil for about 10 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat, add in lime juice and honey to taste, and enjoy!